Who is PPL PRS Ltd, PPL and PRS for Music?
Is PPL PRS Ltd a Government Agency?
- PPL PRS is not a Government Agency, but the music licence we provide is based on copyright law.
- Under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, permission is needed from the relevant copyright holders – those who create, record and publish music – in order to play or perform music in public.
- PPL PRS is a joint venture between the UK’s two music licensing organisations, PPL and PRS for Music. In turn, PPL and PRS for Music represent many thousands of music creators who are the copyright holders of the vast majority of commercially released music.
- That makes us the link between the talented passionate people who write, perform and record music and the hundreds of thousands of UK businesses and organisations who play and perform it in public.
- TheMusicLicence allows you to legally play or perform music for employees or customers in your business or organisation. Without it, you would potentially have to contact thousands of music rights holders individually for permission to play or perform their music.