Do I still need a licence?

If you use a TV with sound within your business or organisation for customers, visitors or employees, you’ll usually need TheMusicLicence.

Still not sure if you need a licence? Learn more


I already have a TV licence, why do I need TheMusicLicence?

It is easy to forget that music is used all the time within TV programmes, advertisements during commercial breaks and other broadcasts.

TheMusicLicence gives you permission to use the music contained in television programmes in a public place.
A TV licence only allows you to receive the broadcast signal for the television. If you wish to use the TV in a public place, such as your business premises you will need TheMusicLicence.

Where does my money go?

All music creators deserve to be fairly rewarded for their talent and creativity, by purchasing TheMusicLicence you are helping to protect the future of music.

Music creators aren’t just the artists we hear on the radio or our playlists. The background music of many sports programmes, the theme tune of your favourite soap opera, or even that advert jingle that you can’t get out of your head is also the hard work of music creators.

After our business costs, fees from TheMusicLicence are distributed to all those involved in making music via our parent companies PPL and PRS for Music.

TV in Bar
TV in Reception area

How much will it cost?

The cost of TheMusicLicence for using music through a TV or any other digital device depends on a number of factors. You can view our tariffs for more information about the cost of TheMusicLicence for your business or organisation.

Alternatively, if you would like to arrange a quote and get TheMusicLicence please contact us.

Ready to get a licence? No problem.

Prefer to speak to us now about your licence? Call us on Call us on 0116 290 0525