Playing music legally

TheMusicLicence from PPL PRS allows you to legally play music for employees or customers in your business through the radio, TV, other digital devices and live performances.

Previously, businesses and organisations had to obtain separate music licences from PPL and PRS for Music. However, we have now come together to form PPL PRS Ltd and launch TheMusicLicence.

One contact. One invoice. One licence.

Why do I need TheMusicLicence?

Under The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, permission is needed from the relevant copyright holders – those people who create music – in order to play or perform music in public.

TheMusicLicence gives you this permission, in relation to the vast majority of commercially available music. This ranges from grassroots and independent artists and composers through to the biggest names in the business.

Like to know if you need a licence or not?

Call us 0800 086 8820.

Where does my money go?

Not only can TheMusicLicence benefit your business, it also helps to protect the future of music. After our business costs, fees from TheMusicLicence are distributed to all those involved in making music via our parent companies PPL and PRS for Music

This means that those people who write, perform, compose, record or publish music are fairly rewarded for their talent and creativity.

How much does it cost?

The cost of TheMusicLicence depends on a number of factors including your type of venue and how you use music in your day-to-day operations, whether that be for background purposes or specially featured entertainment. 

Restaurants & Cafés

How much could it cost?

A restaurant or café playing music via radio, with up to 30 seats, and an audible area below 400 sqm could play music from only 78p a day.
Learn more

Offices & Workplaces​

How much could it cost?

An office or workplace using background music from radio, CD, MP3, or other digital devices with four employees or less, which is not audible to customers or visitors could play music from only 27p a day.
Learn more

Hair & Beauty

How much could it cost?

A salon playing music via radio, CD, MP3, or other digital devices with up to 10 treatment chairs could play music from only 75p a day.
Learn more

How do I get TheMusicLicence?

All we need are some details from you and we can get in touch to arrange your licence. Complete our new licence request form and one of our team will be in touch to discuss your requirements.

Call us on
0800 086 8820

(8am-6pm, Monday-Friday)

Alternatively you can complete the online form and an adviser will call you back soon.