- Under The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, permission is needed from the copyright holders – generally those who create, record and publish music – in order to play or perform music in public (broadly, this means in any other context than a domestic one).
- Through their many thousands of members, PPL and PRS for Music manage these rights in the vast majority of commercially released music available, and license that music for use by businesses and organisations in the UK via TheMusicLicence.
- This means that, if you play or perform music in your business or organisation in the UK, you will usually need TheMusicLicence. Instead of potentially having to contact many thousands of music rights holders individually for permission to play or perform their music, TheMusicLicence gives you those permissions in a single, simple transaction.
No matter what the venue type, music can be used to help enhance the overall atmosphere.
By obtaining TheMusicLicence you will be able to play PRS for Music and PPL music legally and enjoy its benefits whilst ensuring that its creators are fairly rewarded for their work.
There are a range of tariffs to cover the different uses of music across various venue types. However, the cost of TheMusicLicence will vary according to your music use so you’ll need to contact us directly to arrange a quote.
To help you understand how much TheMusicLicence could cost, you can view the individual PPL and PRS for Music tariffs that may be applicable to you.
Holiday Centres and Camping
Leisure, Recreation & Attractions
- Scottish and Highland country dancing
- Practice and social dances
- Folk club dances
- Country and western dances
- Swimming pools
- Synchronised swimming
- Synchronised swimming future
- Gymnastics clubs
- Skating rinks
- Ten pin bowling centres
- Laser space games
- Bingo sessions
- Amusement and pleasure parks
- Amusement arcades
Theatres & Variety Shows
- Amateur theatrical performances
- Theatrical productions
- Background music in theatres
- Puppet/marionette/magic shows
- Puppet/marionette/magic shows future
- Fashion shows
- Background music in bars, restaurants and cafés
- Background music in offices
- Shops and stores
- Specially featured entertainment
View all tariffs
- Amateur Theatrical Performances Tariff, PPLPP030
- Background Music Tariff - Aircraft, PPLPP044
- Background Music Tariff - Amusement and Pleasure Parks, PPLPP071
- Background Music Tariff - Amusement Arcades, PPLPP073
- Background Music Tariff - Bingo Sessions, PPLPP070
- Background Music Tariff - Buses and Coaches, PPLPP041
- Background Music Tariff - Caravan Parks, PPLPP090
- Background Music Tariff – Casinos, PPLPP074
- Background Music Tariff – Cinemas, PPLPP036
- Background Music Tariff - Concert Venues, PPLPP057
- Background Music Tariff - Factories & Offices, PPLPP212
- Background Music Tariff - Gymnasium Workout, PPLPP049
- Background Music Tariff - Gymnastics Clubs, PPLPP059
- Background Music Tariff - Hairdressing and Beauty Salons, PPLPP113
- Background Music Tariff - Holiday Centres, PPLPP088
- Background Music Tariff - Inland and Coastal Vessels, PPLPP042
- Background Music Tariff - Laser Space Games, PPLPP056
- Background Music Tariff - Leisure Centres and Health/Fitness Clubs, PPLPP054
- Background Music Tariff – Miscellaneous, PPLPP018
- Background Music Tariff - Museums and Art Galleries, PPLPP040
- Background Music Tariff - NAAFI/Armed Services Bases, PPLPP087
- Background Music Tariff - Nightclubs, Discotheques and Dance Halls, PPLPP017
- Background Music Tariff - Public Houses/Bars/Restaurants and Cafes/Hotels, PPLPP210
- Background Music Tariff - Railway, Underground and Bus/Coach Stations, PPLPP043
- Background Music Tariff - Registered Members Club, PPLPP016
- Background Music Tariff - Shops & Stores, PPLPP211
- Background Music Tariff - Skating Rinks, PPLPP052
- Background Music Tariff - Small Residential Hotels and Guest Houses, PPLPP089
- Background Music Tariff - Small Workplaces PPLPP225
- Background Music Tariff - Spectator Sports, PPLPP051
- Background Music Tariff - Swimming Pools, PPLPP050
- Background Music Tariff - Synchronised Swimming, PPLPP053
- Background Music Tariff - Telephone Music On Hold, PPLPP084
- Background Music Tariff - Ten Pin Bowling Centres, PPLPP055
- Background Music Tariff – Theatres, PPLPP031
- Background Music Tariff - Waiting Rooms/Reception Areas, PPLPP085
- CEFM - Schools Tariff, PPLPP114
- Churches Tariff, PPLPP115
- Country and Western Dances Tariff, PPLPP027
- Dance Centre and Studio Tariff, PPLPP021
- Dance Centre and Studio Tariff, PPLPP021 future
- Dance Supplement - Holiday Centres Tariff, PPLPP024
- Dance Teachers Tariff, PPLPP020
- Dance Teachers Tariff, PPLPP020 future
- Dressage Tariff, PPLPP058
- Election Campaigns Tariff, PPLPP083
- Election Campaigns Tariff, PPLPP083 future
- Exercise to Music Tariff, PPLPP222
- Exercise to Music Tariff, PPLPP222 future
- Exhibitions Tariff, PPLPP080
- Fashion Shows Tariff, PPLPP062
- Folk Club Dances Tariff, PPLPP026
- Jukeboxes with Background Music Facility Tariff, PPLPP010
- Jukeboxes without Background Music Facility Tariff, PPLPP011
- Listening Posts and Touch screens Kiosks Tariff, PPLPP037
- Mobile DJ Tariff, PPLPP004
- Nurseries Tariff, PPLPP226
- Pop/Music Quizzes Tariff, PPLPP003
- Practice and Social Dances Tariff, PPLPP023
- Public Address Engineers Tariff, PPLPP082
- Puppet/Marionette/Magic Shows Tariff, PPLPP034
- Puppet/Marionette/Magic Shows Tariff, PPLPP034 future
- Scottish and Highland Country Dancing Tariff, PPLPP025
- Single and Casual Events Tariff, PPLPP002
- Specially Featured Entertainment Tariff, PPLPP001
- Supply of recorded music to Hotel Bedrooms, PPLPP213
- Synchronised Swimming PPLPP053
- Theatrical Productions Tariff, PPLPP032
- AC Aircraft
- AMS Not-for-profit amateur sports clubs
- APS Amusement parks, saloons, arcades, travelling showmen, funfairs
- AS County, agricultural, horse shows, regattas & open-air events
- B Service & other bands
- BC Bowling concourses
- BO Bingo (commercial)
- C Cinema performances
- CB Community buildings (run by voluntary organisations)
- CB Community buildings April 2018
- D Commercial discotheques & commercial dance halls
- DP Dance parties & similar events
- DS Dance tuition schools
- EE Educational establishments (government-funded & independent schools)
- FD Fitness & dance
- FE Further education colleges
- GP General purposes
- HC Holiday centres
- HCP Holiday caravan parks
- HDB Hairdressers & Beauty Salons
- HR Hotels, restaurants & cafés; boarding & guest houses
- I Music in the workplace 2018 (industrial premises, offices, canteens, rest rooms)
- J Clubs (proprietary)
- JMC Clubs (members')
- K Circuses
- LC Classical music concerts & recitals
- LP Light or popular music concerts
- MH Telephone music on hold
- ML Mobile businesses and limited uses
- MV Motor Vehicles
- N Nurseries, pre-schools, playgroups, crèches
- O Parks, open-air places, pools (mechanical music)
- P Public houses
- PV Passenger vessels
- RS Shops & stores, showrooms, warehouses
- SE Sports Events at Sports Grounds, Race Tracks and Stadiums
- SP Small premises
- SR Skating rinks (ice or roller)
- T Theatrical presentations
- TR Trains
- UC University colleges, other institutions of higher education
- V Variety shows
- X Exhibitions & similar functions, trade fairs
- YCH Youth clubs, centres & hostels
- VPL Background fees
- VPL Foreground fees
- VPL Exhibitions fees
- VPL Airline fees
- VPL Concert/stage events tariff
- VPL Video jukebox operators tariff
- VPL Mobile DJ tariff
- VPL Spectator sports venues
- VPL Background music for gyms, leisure centres and health clubs
Charity and community organisations may apply for a discount against the standard royalty made for events or featured music sessions, in return for advertising of PPL PRS Ltd support at the event. The level of discount applied to your event will be determined by PPL PRS Ltd. For further details you can find our Charity and Community Events Discount Policy here. If you would like to apply for the discount please complete our Charity and Community discount form and we will be in touch.
Please CLICK HERE to access the form.
Applications will be considered on the following basis:
All proceeds from the event must go to registered charities or named community groups. In addition, the applicable tariff must not already take account of the voluntary or charitable status of the licensee (we will determine this and advise you accordingly). And at least two of the following criteria must be satisfied:
- The event makes no charge for admission
- The charitable purpose is a significant element of the advertising for the event
- The event is principally organised by unpaid volunteers
In addition, please note the following conditions:
- Customers who wish to apply must complete the application form in full, and PPL PRS Ltd must receive the form at least 14 days prior to the event.
- PPL PRS Ltd will review all applications and advise whether any discount will be granted to the customer. Completion of the form does not guarantee that any discount will be awarded.
- The discount is intended mainly for small charities and small community events to which a PPL PRS Ltd licence fee may present a barrier to running an event. However, discounts under this policy may be considered for any charity or community event.
- A discount will normally only be granted where music use is essential or integral to the charity/community event. A discount will only be granted for background music in exceptional circumstances.
- The discount will not apply if the customer does not meet the standard payment terms of the licence.
- We reserve the right to change or remove this policy at any time without notice.
Note: the discount cannot be applied to events in or covered by charges for:
- Community Buildings
- Not for Profit Member’s Clubs
- Nurseries , Crèches, Play Groups and Pre Schools
- Youth Clubs and Hostels
- Performances/presentations at Theatres
- Variety shows
- Classical music events licensed under PRS for Music tariff LC
- Popular music events licensed under PRS for Music tariffs LP (where the is a charge for admission)
- Events covered by licences administered by CEFM or CCLI
A discount will not normally be granted to Key account or Local Authority customers.
Still looking for your business type?
If your business does not match any of the venue types listed above, please contact us for further assistance.
- TheMusicLicence covers millions of songs and recordings, including the most popular and well-loved music not just from the UK but also from around the world.
- You can play or perform the music of specific artists only if you wish, but it will not affect the cost of your licence. That’s because the cost is not calculated based on which music artists you play, but instead depends on factors such as the size of your business or organisation and the ways you use music.
- When businesses and organisations pay PPL PRS Ltd for TheMusicLicence, we pass those royalties on to our parent companies, PPL and PRS for Music (after deduction of our running costs). The royalties are shared between PPL and PRS for Music based on which of their respective licensing tariffs apply to the music usage under your licence, and the costs due under those tariffs.
- PPL and PRS for Music each have databases storing details of millions of musical compositions and recordings. Together with a wealth of information about what music is being used by customers, this enables PPL and PRS for Music to determine fairly and efficiently which of their members to pay, and how much to pay them.
- This means that, by purchasing TheMusicLicence, you are supporting the future of music by helping to ensure its creators are paid for their work, so that the people who write, perform and record it can continue making the music you love.
Get TheMusicLicence for your businessChoose your venue type
Although we make every effort to ensure the accuracy of the website information and pricing, regrettably errors do occasionally occur. Therefore please contact us directly to discuss the tariffs relevant to you and get an accurate quote for TheMusicLicence.