Our Menopause in the Workplace Pledge
It is estimated that there are around 13 million people who are currently peri or menopausal in the UK, which is equivalent to a third of the entire UK female population.
The menopause can cause a wide range of physical and psychological symptoms that can last for several years.
In a recent survey1 we conducted of 500 menopausal women, we discovered that:
- Only around 26% of the people we surveyed feel supported by their employer during the menopause.
- Over 90% of those surveyed had experienced at least one physical or mental symptom
- However, over 40% of those have not tried to source any relief from those symptoms
We have also found that there are 75K internet searches a month for ‘menopause symptoms’, while only 5K users search for ‘menopause relief ’.
All the above research shows that the majority of women who are experiencing any kind of menopause symptom are probably continuing to suffer in silence, and not receive the support or treatment they need to help them manage this time of their life.
The team here at PPL PRS have chosen to sign the Wellbeing of Women Workplace Pledge to confirm our commitment to supporting our colleagues who are experiencing any signs of the Menopause.
By signing the Menopause Workplace Pledge, we commit to:
- Recognising that the menopause can be an issue in the workplace and women need support
- Talking openly, positively, and respectfully about the menopause
- Actively supporting and informing our employees affected by the menopause
On signing the Pledge, Managing Director Andrea Gray, said:
“As a business which prides itself on being diverse and inclusive, we became aware that a number of our employees may have been experiencing menopausal symptoms without the necessary support in place. We listened to them, and we worked together to ensure that this was provided, in the form of discrete care packages around the office, regular support group meetings, Mental Health First Aiders, and most importantly a Menopause Workplace Policy being implemented. This led to us signing the Wellbeing of Women Workplace Pledge to really cement our commitment to ensuring that anyone who is experiencing symptoms of the menopause will be supported and cared for within the workplace here at PPL PRS.
Around 18% of peri-menopausal or menopausal age UK women who are currently employed are considering leaving their roles due to lack of support from their employer2, raising awareness and talking openly about the issues people face during this time is the only way to ensure that businesses retain their staff and provide the support that is needed.”
1. Attest survey of 500 women currently or previously experiencing menopausal symptoms, carried out in November 2022
The PPL PRS Collections team were crowned winners as Team of the Year at the
Local music venture joins forces with professional motorcycle racer, Brayden Elliott as partners for the