Music in can be used in a variety of ways within fitness and dance businesses.

Whether you’re playing music across the gym floor, café or reception areas, or playing it in exercise and dance classes, you’ll usually need TheMusicLicence.

By obtaining TheMusicLicence you’ll be able to play PRS for Music and PPL music legally in your fitness and dance venue and enjoy its benefits whilst ensuring that its creators are fairly rewarded for their work.

When you tap into songs that people know and love it can make a big difference to their workout. Katrina O’Hagan Group Exercise Coordinator David Lloyd, Edinburgh
Gym Fitness background music licence

The power of background music

Whether you’re playing music in across the gym floor, changing rooms, café or reception areas, background music in your gym or health club has the potential enhance the experience you provide to your customers and staff. Your background music choices can create that ‘feel good’ mood and encourage customers to stay, and return!

Turn a gym into a jam and find out more about the power of background music for gyms, fitness and dance…

How is my music licence cost calculated?

The cost of TheMusicLicence varies depending on the specific characteristics of each business, so please contact us for a quote. Before doing so, please ensure you’ve read our Music Licence Quote Checklist for each section that is applicable to you, and have the relevant information ready so we can provide an accurate quote for your fitness and dance music licence.

Quote Checklist

Gym operators/fitness & leisure centres

  • The areas where music is audible such as the gym floor, reception areas, cafes etc.
  • The square meterage of the total area where music is audible
  • Number of TV screens any music videos are played on

Fitness instructors, lessons or classes

  • Number of lessons/classes held per year

Dance studios

  • Number of hours music is played in the studio per week
  • Number of lessons/classes per year
  • Number of social dances held per year

Independent dance teachers

  • Annual attendance at lessons/classes

Understanding your music licence royalties

To help you understand how much TheMusicLicence could cost for your dance and fitness business, you can view the individual PPL and PRS for Music tariffs that may be applicable to you.

PPL Tariffs
  • Background music in cafes, restaurants and bars
  • Background music gymnasium workout
  • Background music in offices
  • Background music - music videos in gyms, leisure & fitness centres and health clubs (VPL tariff)
  • Background music swimming pools
  • Dance centres and studios
  • Dance teachers
  • Exercise to music
  • Practice and social dances
  • Specially featured entertainment
  • Synchronised swimming
  • Telephone music on hold
PRS for Music Tariffs

Discretionary Charging Policies

PPL and PRS for Music each separately operate a number of discretionary charging policies setting out circumstances in which, whilst legally entitled to do so, they choose not to apply a charge.

PRS for Music currently operates a discretionary charging policy (“DCP”) for performances of PRS for Music repertoire by providers of dance tuition who are not classed as “educational establishments” under the Copyright Designs & Patents Act 1988. Provided that music is performed within the context of and for the purposes of a lesson and/or examination leading to a qualification aligned with Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) Level 1 or above, for the purposes of calculating charges under Tariff F&D, PRS will treat such performance as if it were given in circumstances to which section 34 of the Copyright, Designs and Patent Act 1988 applies and accordingly will not make any charge respect of the session concerned.


Do I need TheMusicLicence?
  • Under The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, permission is needed from the copyright holders – generally those who create, record and publish music – in order to play or perform music in public (broadly, this means in any other context than a domestic one).
  • Through their many thousands of members, PPL and PRS for Music manage these rights in the vast majority of commercially released music available, and license that music for use by businesses and organisations in the UK via TheMusicLicence.
  • This means that, if you play or perform music in your business or organisation in the UK, you will usually need TheMusicLicence. Instead of potentially having to contact many thousands of music rights holders individually for permission to play or perform their music, TheMusicLicence gives you those permissions in a single, simple transaction.
Can I play or perform music by specific artists only?
  • TheMusicLicence covers millions of songs and recordings, including the most popular and well-loved music not just from the UK but also from around the world.
  • You can play or perform the music of specific artists only if you wish, but it will not affect the cost of your licence. That’s because the cost is not calculated based on which music artists you play, but instead depends on factors such as the size of your business or organisation and the ways you use music.
Where does the money go?
  • When businesses and organisations pay PPL PRS Ltd for TheMusicLicence, we pass those royalties on to our parent companies, PPL and PRS for Music (after deduction of our running costs). The royalties are shared between PPL and PRS for Music based on which of their respective licensing tariffs apply to the music usage under your licence, and the costs due under those tariffs.
  • PPL and PRS for Music each have databases storing details of millions of musical compositions and recordings. Together with a wealth of information about what music is being used by customers, this enables PPL and PRS for Music to determine fairly and efficiently which of their members to pay, and how much to pay them.
  • This means that, by purchasing TheMusicLicence, you are supporting the future of music by helping to ensure its creators are paid for their work, so that the people who write, perform and record it can continue making the music you love.