Entertainment & Attractions Music Licence

Music in entertainment & attractions can help enhance the atmosphere and create an environment people enjoy.

Whether it’s putting the ambiance into the auditorium, the flair into the foyer or bringing the beat onto the big screen, if you’re playing music in your cinema, you’ll usually need a music licence from PPL PRS.

By obtaining TheMusicLicence you’ll be able to play PRS for Music and PPL music legally and enjoy its benefits whilst ensuring that its creators are fairly rewarded for their work.


Music in cinemas

TheMusicLicence will cover your cinema/premises/business for almost every type of music usage.

This includes music that is used:

  • Within films
  • Within cinematic presentations of live music events
  • As background music in auditoriums and other area
  • As additional music on your premises (such as live music, DJ sets and theatrical performances etc.)
Cinema Background Music Licence

Background Music

In licensing terms, background music for cinemas refers to recorded music that is used solely as background music. It will generally be licensed under PPL’s background music in cinemas tariff, Tariff PPLPP036 and PRS’ Tariff C although in some instances, Tariff P, Tariff HR or Tariff GP may also be applied.

Increase revenue

Target new audiences and host Simulcasts – a live event that is broadcast in real-time; and Encores – a broadcast recording of a previously staged live event.

Enhance the environment

Help set the tone, change the mood and create an atmosphere that people enjoy. This can help make customers and employees feel more welcome and relaxed and could improve their overall experience.

Cinema Music Licence

Define your brand

Make your business unique and it can be just as important as your name or décor. Carefully selected music that is relatable to your business can complement your brand, distinguish you and help you stay ahead of the competition.

Employee engagement

Music could contribute to creating a better working environment, promoting engagement, collaboration and motivation. Helping to engage your staff with your business, improving morale. This could lead to greater productivity, as well as better service levels for your customers.  

Millions of songs

TheMusicLicence covers virtually all commercially released music available – millions of songs and recordings, including the most popular and well-loved music, not just from the UK, but from around the world.

How is the cost calculated?

The cost of TheMusicLicence varies from cinema to cinema, depending on their specific characteristics, so please contact us for a quote

Quote Checklist

Before contacting us, please ensure you’ve read our Quote Checklist for each section that is applicable to you, and have the relevant information ready so we can provide an accurate quote for your workplace music licence.

Cinema background music

  • Number of cinema screens
  • The areas owned and managed by the cinema, where music is audible such as foyers, bars and restaurants
  • The square meterage of those separate bars, restaurants or shops where music is audible
  • Details of areas operated by third parties, such as bars or restaurants where music is audible

Music in films

  • Annual admissions or annual receipts
  • Number admissions or annual receipts

Get a quote

If you’ve got all your information ready, please contact us or complete our Get TheMusicLicence form to arrange a quote.

Call us on 0116 290 0525

(8am-6pm, Monday-Friday)

Ready to play music?

Set up a new music licence for your business today.

Get a Quote

Cinema Guide Download

Annual returns for cinemas are due on the 31st January 2023.

For help completing the review forms and understanding which tariffs apply to you, download our free guide.

View Brochure

Related articles

Thinking about playing music in your cinema or attraction and want to know more?

What is TheMusicLicence?

What is TheMusicLicence

TheMusicLicenceallows you to legally play music for employees or customers in your business through the radio, TV, other digital devices and live performances.
Learn more

Do I need a music licence?

Do I need a music licence?

If you use, play or perform music in your business or organisation, the chances are you need a music licence.
Learn more

Where does my money go?

Where does my money go?

After our business costs, music licence fees are distributed to all those involved in making music via our parent companies PPL and PRS for Music.
Learn more

How do I get TheMusicLicence?

Call us on 0116 290 0525

(8am-6pm, Monday-Friday)

Alternatively you can complete the online form and an adviser will be in touch.