Education Music Licence

Create a euphony in your educational establishment.

Whether you’re playing background music in nurseries, pre-schools, schools and colleges or playing music for extra-curricular or entertainment activities, you’ll usually need a music licence from PPL PRS.

By obtaining a TheMusicLicence you’ll be able to play PRS for Music and PPL music legally and enjoy its benefits whilst ensuring that its creators are fairly rewarded for their work.


Benefits of TheMusicLicence

We all learn in different ways and our environment can play an influential part in that. With TheMusicLicence you could reflect the atmosphere you want and mirror the right music to influence this.

Create more in a classroom, put the performance into PE, bring the talent to the shows. No matter what the age group, music could aid in the development of the next generation.

Playing music in nurseries and pre-schools or in schools and colleges could not only help create a more entertaining environment for your pupils and staff but could also:

Enhance the environment

Help set the tone, change the mood and create an atmosphere that enables a joyful learning experience. This can help make pre-schools and nurseries feel more relaxed and could improve the motivation and overall experience of pupils in higher learning.


Music could contribute to creating a better working environment, promoting engagement, collaboration and motivation. Helping to engage your pupils, improving morale. A happier environment could lead to greater productivity and possibly aid in the focus of students. 

Millions of songs

TheMusicLicence covers virtually all commercially released music available – millions of songs and recordings, including the most popular and well-loved music, not just from the UK, but from around the world.

How is the cost calculated?

The cost of TheMusicLicence for an education establishment varies depending on the specific characteristics of each business, so please contact us for a quote.

Before doing so, please ensure you’ve read our Quote Checklist for each section that is applicable to you and have the relevant information ready so we can provide an accurate quote for your shop or store music licence.

Background music

Starts from...
per day

Live events

Starts from...
per attendee

Quote Checklist


  • Details of how music is used, such as for breakfast/holiday clubs, parent evenings/open days, general background music etc.
  • Type of devices used to play music, such as radio, CDs, TV etc.

Schools & colleges

  • Schools – CEFM act on behalf of PPL PRS Ltd as collection agents for UK schools. For details on how to get a licence please visit CEFM
  • Colleges – To ensure we provide you with an accurate quote, please contact us and we’ll go through your specific music usage with you

Universities & other educational establishments

  • Music can be used in a variety of ways in other educational establishments, ranging from live music, discos and end of term parties, through to staff rooms, offices, gyms and cafes. To ensure we provide you with an accurate quote, please contact us and we’ll go through your specific music usage

Get a quote

If you’ve got all your information ready, please contact us or complete our Get TheMusicLicence form to arrange a quote.

Call us on 0116 290 0525

(8am-6pm, Monday-Friday)

Related articles

Thinking about playing music in your school or college and want to know more?

What is TheMusicLicence?

What is TheMusicLicence

TheMusicLicenceallows you to legally play music for employees or customers in your business through the radio, TV, other digital devices and live performances.
Learn more

Do I need a music licence?

Do I need a music licence?

If you use, play or perform music in your business or organisation, the chances are you need a music licence.
Learn more

Where does my money go?

Where does my money go?

After our business costs, music licence fees are distributed to all those involved in making music via our parent companies PPL and PRS for Music.
Learn more

How do I get TheMusicLicence?

Call us on 0116 290 0525

(8am to 6pm Monday to Thursday and 8am to 3pm Friday)

Alternatively you can complete the online form and an adviser will be in touch.