and your local Metro


TheMusicLicence and your local Metro – helping to restore the rhythm to local business

Customers are heading back to cafes, bars, restaurants and hotels this week as the roadmap out of restrictions means that you can welcome them back inside your business once more. Music has helped many of us through lockdown, and it could also help your customers and staff as they return. Open your doors and restore the rhythm today with a little help from your favourite artists, radio stations and live televised sport. 

Metro Logo
turned-on monitor *

93% agreed that music has a positive effect on their business

88% said that music is enjoyable to staff and customers

93% agreed that the atmosphere would be different without music*

Create your environment

Restore the rhythm, get TheMusicLicence and put the essential energy of music at the heart of your business.

Call us on 0800 086 8820 (8am-6pm, Monday-Friday)

Alternatively you can complete the online form and an adviser will call you back soon.


to play music in your business with TheMusicLicence

Featured articles

Common questions about TheMusicLicence

  • Under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, permission is needed from the copyright holders – generally those who create, record and publish music – in order to play or perform music in public (broadly, this means in any other context than a domestic one).
  • Through their many thousands of members, PPL and PRS for Music manage these rights in the vast majority of commercially released music available, and license that music for use by businesses and organisations in the UK via TheMusicLicence.
  • This means that, if you play or perform music in your business or organisation in the UK, you will usually need TheMusicLicence. Instead of potentially having to contact many thousands of music rights holders individually for permission to play or perform their music, TheMusicLicence gives you those permissions in a single, simple transaction.
  • It is your responsibility to ensure that you are properly licensed for any music use taking place at your business or organisation. Playing or performing music without the appropriate licence could amount to copyright infringement. If we have reason to believe that you are using copyright music without an appropriate licence, then we may collect evidence.
  • When taking out a licence with PPL PRS Ltd, your rights and obligations are set out in the TheMusicLicence Terms and Conditions, including your obligation to pay a royalty and to provide us with information required under the applicable tariff to assist us in calculating that royalty.
  • If any payments under the licence become overdue, we will contact you by post, email or telephone. If appropriate, we may refer the account to our enforcement team or a debt collection agency. In some cases we may even terminate your licence, which may then lead to legal action for copyright infringement.
  • Under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, permission is needed from the relevant copyright holders – those who create, record and publish music – in order to play or perform music in public.
  • Broadly speaking, this includes any presentation of music outside of a domestic setting. For example, it will include using music in the following ways as part of your business or organisation (for the benefit of customers and/or employees): playing recorded music via any device, including the radio; showing TV broadcasts, or other audio-visual content, containing music; or putting on live performances of music.
  • All these uses of music will usually require permission from the copyright holders and TheMusicLicence will give you that permission, covering the vast majority of commercially-released music.
  • Purchasing music either digitally on a CD, record or tape permits you to listen to it at home for your personal use. However, if this music is played outside your home as a public performance, then you’ll usually need TheMusicLicence.
  • If you are playing the radio in your business or organisation, you’ll usually need TheMusicLicence. Although the radio stations pay both PPL and PRS for Music for the right to broadcast, it does not include public performance. TheMusicLicence allows you to legally play music for employees or customers in your business or organisation.
  • If you are playing music in your business or organisation for employees, then you’ll usually need TheMusicLicence. Music that is played outside of a domestic environment is classed as a public performance, even if the music can only be heard by employees in the workplace, canteen or staff areas.  TheMusicLicence gives you permission to play music in your business or organisation.
  • It is easy to forget that music is used all the time within TV programmes, advertisements during commercial breaks and other broadcasts. TheMusicLicence gives you permission to use the music contained in television programmes in a public place.
  • A TV licence only allows you to receive the broadcast signal for the television. If you wish to use the TV in a public place, such as your business premises you will need TheMusicLicence.

So while you are making all of the arrangements to get your business back to its best, now is the perfect time to ensure you are appropriately licensed, and set up TheMusicLicence for your business. Music could help your business get back to its best.

*Research performed by PPL PRS in relation to TheMusicLicence, February – March 2020. Figures based on a group of 73 participants belonging to the hair and beauty industry