Local Authorities
Music Licence

On 1st April 2020 as part of the PRS for Music Tariff simplification process PRS Local Authorities (LA) was launched.

If you require any information regarding changes to the PRS for Music Local Authorities (LA) Tariff, please contact la.consultation@prsformusic.com

For all other enquiries non-tariff related, such as renewals please email localauthorityteam@pplprs.co.uk


Tariff information

This tariff applies to the performance of PRS for Music repertoire at premises run by local authorities, county councils, district boroughs, city councils, unitary authorities, London and metropolitan borough councils, parish councils, town councils and community councils.

Local Authority FAQs

  • What is Tariff LA?

    On 1st April 2020, PRS for Music introduced a new local authorities, councils and community services tariff (Tariff LA). The tariff contains a simpler set of royalty rates and as a result, local authorities will be required to declare less information to calculate their annual royalty rate.

  • What is covered by Tariff LA?

    The tariff covers most of the music usage within local government-run premises. This includes premises run by local authorities, county councils, district boroughs, city councils, unitary authorities, London and metropolitan borough, parish councils, town councils and community councils.

    Examples of the types of premises to be covered by the tariff include children’s centres and family centres, youth clubs, community centres, town halls & civic halls, assembly halls, libraries, adult education centres, tourist information centres, museums, markets, bus stations and arts centres.

  • What are the key aspects of the tariff?

    The Tariff LA contains two main charging elements

    1. Core Music
    2. Bolt-on Music
  • What is core music usage?

    The Core Music royalty rate in Tariff LA allows unlimited use of background music (via a TV, radio, film or other media player) throughout the year. The rate is based upon the area of the premises, measured wall to wall in square metres where music is audible, i.e. the “audible area”. This replaces the multiple metrics previously used.

    PRS for Music has not included different fees for specific audio and audio-visual devices in the tariff.

    The Core Music royalty rate can be applied to cover the use of background music in several types of local authority and council premises including:

    • Children’s and family centres
    • Youth clubs
    • Community centres, town halls & civic halls
    • Assembly halls
    • Libraries
    • Adult education centres
    • Tourist information centres & attractions, museums
    • Markets
    • Bus stations
    • Arts centres
  • What is bolt-on Music usage

    Individual Bolt-on Music rates from Tariff LA and rates from other PRS for Music tariffs will be applied to reflect the differing levels and frequencies of this usage across many local authorities and councils. For example, a film screening in an arts centre will be licensed using the film show Bolt-on Music rate within Tariff LA. A ticketed performance of live music in a park will be licensed under our Popular music concerts Tariff (Tariff LP).

  • What premises and/or performances of music will continue to be licensed using the standard PRS for Music tariffs?

    All of the above PRS for Music tariffs can all be viewed on our Tariffs page here

  • What happens to the licence fees collected by PRS for Music?

    There are several methods to track the music being played in different environments including surveys on businesses and by tracking radio play that allows us to distribute the rates collected as accurately and efficiently as possible. Nearly 90 percent of all the money collected goes to the songwriters, composers and publishers of the music – we just deduct our running costs.

  • When does PRS for Music distribute the royalties?

    PRS for Music distributions are normally made four times a year, in April, July, October and December. PRS for Music aim to include payments in the second quarterly distribution after the event has taken place. For example, music performed in May would be included in the October distribution.

  • The PRS for Music consultation issued in 2016 referred to different charges.

    The charges provided in the consultation were charges applicable in 2015, however, the consultation paper indicated the charges were indicative and subject to adjustment by PRS for Music prior to implementation of the new Tariff LA.

If you have any questions regarding these changes, please contact PRS for Music on la.consultation@prsformusic.com

Get a quote

If you’ve got all your information ready, please contact us or complete our Get TheMusicLicence form to arrange a quote.

Call us on 0116 290 0525

(8am-6pm, Monday-Friday)

Related articles

Thinking about playing music in your shop or store and want to know more?

What is TheMusicLicence?

What is TheMusicLicence

TheMusicLicenceallows you to legally play music for employees or customers in your business through the radio, TV, other digital devices and live performances.
Learn more

Do I need a music licence?

Do I need a music licence?

If you use, play or perform music in your business or organisation, the chances are you need a music licence.
Learn more

Where does my money go?

Where does my money go?

After our business costs, music licence fees are distributed to all those involved in making music via our parent companies PPL and PRS for Music.
Learn more

How do I get TheMusicLicence?

Call us on 0116 290 0525

(8am-6pm, Monday-Friday)

Alternatively you can complete the online form and an adviser will be in touch.