Pubs & Bars

Whether it’s live performances, DJs, music segments in your quiz or playing background music via audio devices and TVs, you’ll usually need TheMusicLicence for your pub or bar.


By obtaining TheMusicLicence you’ll be able to play PRS for Music and PPL music legally and enjoy its benefits whilst ensuring that its creators are fairly rewarded for their work.

Turn a cocktail into a concert TheMusicLicence!

Music could be an important part of day-to-day life for many people, including while they relax in pubs & bars. Playing music for your customers could help to lift that experience up from good to great.

Music could help set the tone, boost the mood and create a more upbeat atmosphere. Bring the good vibrations to your pub & bars and let your beer gardens blossom!

Playing music could also help you stand out and distinguish you from your competitors. The right soundtrack could reflect both your customers and your staff. By learning which style of music heightens that ‘feelgood’ factor at different times, and you could create a space which is as much known for its atmosphere as it is for its excellent service.

people sitting on chairs near glass window during daytime

Music could help to make your business unique and has the power to:

How is my music licence cost calculated?

To help you understand how much TheMusicLicence could cost for your pub or bar, you can view the individual PPL and PRS for Music tariffs that may be applicable to you.

Quote checklist

Play background music at your pub or bar from just 87p* per day!

The cost of TheMusicLicence for pubs & bars varies depending on the specific characteristics of each business, so please contact us for a quote. Before doing so, please ensure you’ve read our Music Licence Quote Checklist for each section that is applicable to you and have the relevant information ready so we can provide an accurate quote for your pub or bar music licence.

*Cost example. based on the daily rate for 365 days per year in a premise that has an audible area of 400sqm or less could play background music via the radio for £319.45. excluding VAT

  • The areas where music is used, such as in a café, bar or staff office areas
  • The square meterage of each area where music is audible
  • Type of the devices used to play music, such as TV, radio, CDs etc.
    • Number and capacity of live events held per year
  • Number, capacity, duration and attendance of specially featured events held per year
  • Number of karaoke sessions
  • Number and type of jukeboxes in your venue (and name of supplier if rented)
  • Number of TV screens music videos are played on

PPL PRS is a new company, equally owned by PPL and PRS

for Music. It has been created to provide customers with a streamlined music licensing

service – TheMusicLicence – with a single point of contact to make it easier to obtain a licence to play and perform music in public. Previously, businesses, organisations and venues would have had to purchase two separate licences from PPL and PRS instead.

TheMusicLicence allows you to legally play and perform music in your business, including when it is part of the film exhibition and when it is used in other areas of your premises. If you play or perform music in your premises you will usually need TheMusicLicence. It will cover you with one licence for the use of virtually all commercially released music available, including millions of songs and recordings, from the most popular and well-loved music not just from the UK but also from around the world.

After deduction of our business costs, the licence fees we collect are distributed to those involved in making music via our parent companies PPL and PRS. They each have databases storing details of millions of musical compositions and recordings. Together with a wealth of information about which music is used, this enables PPL and PRS to determine fairly and efficiently which of their members to pay and how much to pay them.

How do I get TheMusicLicence?

Call us on 0800 086 8820

(8am-6pm, Monday-Friday)

Alternatively you can complete the online form and an adviser will be in touch.