Music in community buildings (run by voluntary organisations) can be used for different events and activities.

Whether you’re playing music at functions in community centres or for entertainment purposes in village halls, you’ll usually need TheMusicLicence for your community building.

By obtaining TheMusicLicence you’ll be able to play PRS for Music and PPL music legally in your community building and enjoy its benefits whilst ensuring that its creators are fairly rewarded for their work.

Get TheMusicLicence Button

How is my licence cost calculated?

If you're using music in your community building, the chances are you'll need TheMusicLicence.

The cost of TheMusicLicence varies depending on the specific characteristics of each community building, so please contact us for a quote. Before doing so, please ensure you’ve read our Music Licence Quote Checklist for each section that is applicable to you, and have the relevant information ready so we can provide an accurate quote for your community building music licence.

Quote Checklist

Community buildings (run by voluntary organisations)

  • Annual Defined Income as defined in our Tariff – community buildings

Understanding your music licence royalties

To help you understand how much TheMusicLicence could cost for your community building, you can view the individual PPL and PRS for Music tariffs that may be applicable to you.

PPL Tariffs
  • Community Buildings
  • Background music pubs, bars, restaurants and cafes
  • Background music in offices
  • Exercise to music
  • Single and casual events
  • Specially featured entertainment
PRS for Music Tariffs
  • Community Buildings
  • Fitness and dance


Can I play or perform music by specific artists only?
  • TheMusicLicence covers millions of songs and recordings, including the most popular and well-loved music not just from the UK but also from around the world.
  • You can play or perform the music of specific artists only if you wish, but it will not affect the cost of your licence. That’s because the cost is not calculated based on which music artists you play, but instead depends on factors such as the size of your business or organisation and the ways you use music.
Where does the money go?
  • When businesses and organisations pay PPL PRS Ltd for TheMusicLicence, we pass those royalties on to our parent companies, PPL and PRS for Music (after deduction of our running costs). The royalties are shared between PPL and PRS for Music based on which of their respective licensing tariffs apply to the music usage under your licence, and the costs due under those tariffs.
  • PPL and PRS for Music each have databases storing details of millions of musical compositions and recordings. Together with a wealth of information about what music is being used by customers, this enables PPL and PRS for Music to determine fairly and efficiently which of their members to pay, and how much to pay them.
  • This means that, by purchasing TheMusicLicence, you are supporting the future of music by helping to ensure its creators are paid for their work, so that the people who write, perform and record it can continue making the music you love.