- Under The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, permission is needed from the copyright holders – generally those who create, record and publish music – in order to play or perform music in public (broadly, this means in any other context than a domestic one).
- Through their many thousands of members, PPL and PRS for Music manage these rights in the vast majority of commercially released music available, and license that music for use by businesses and organisations in the UK via TheMusicLicence.
- This means that, if you play or perform music in your business or organisation in the UK, you will usually need TheMusicLicence. Instead of potentially having to contact many thousands of music rights holders individually for permission to play or perform their music, TheMusicLicence gives you those permissions in a single, simple transaction.
Restaurants and cafés use music in different ways.
Whether you’re playing music for customers in dining areas or playing it for staff in the restaurant kitchen, you’ll usually need TheMusicLicence.
By obtaining TheMusicLicence you’ll be able to play PRS for Music and PPL music legally and enjoy its benefits whilst ensuring that its creators are fairly rewarded for their work.
We use the music to change the atmosphere… anyone who works in Caffè Nero would say it has a very positive influence on building a loyal audience. Pablo Ettinger Co-Founder Caffè Nero
How is my music licence cost calculated?
The cost of TheMusicLicence varies depending on the specific characteristics of each restaurant and café, so please contact us for a quote. Before doing so, please ensure you’ve read our Music Licence Quote Checklist for each section that is applicable to you, and have the relevant information ready so we can provide an accurate quote for your restaurant or café music licence.
- The areas where music is audible such as restaurant/cafe dining areas, bars or kitchens
- The square meterage of each area where music is audible
- The number of seats in restaurant/cafe dining areas
- Type of devices used to play music, such as radio, CDs, TV etc.
- Number of and capacity of live events held per year
Specially featured entertainment events, e.g. DJs or discos
- Number, capacity, duration and attendance of specially featured events held per year
- Number of karaoke sessions
- Number of TV screens music videos are played on
Music on hold
- Details of any telephone on hold music
Understanding your licence fee
To help you understand how much TheMusicLicence could cost for your business, you can view the individual tariffs used to determine your fee below.
- TheMusicLicence covers millions of songs and recordings, including the most popular and well-loved music not just from the UK but also from around the world.
- You can play or perform the music of specific artists only if you wish, but it will not affect the cost of your licence. That’s because the cost is not calculated based on which music artists you play, but instead depends on factors such as the size of your business or organisation and the ways you use music.
- When businesses and organisations pay PPL PRS Ltd for TheMusicLicence, we pass those royalties on to our parent companies, PPL and PRS for Music (after deduction of our running costs). The royalties are shared between PPL and PRS for Music based on which of their respective licensing tariffs apply to the music usage under your licence, and the costs due under those tariffs.
- PPL and PRS for Music each have databases storing details of millions of musical compositions and recordings. Together with a wealth of information about what music is being used by customers, this enables PPL and PRS for Music to determine fairly and efficiently which of their members to pay, and how much to pay them.
- This means that, by purchasing TheMusicLicence, you are supporting the future of music by helping to ensure its creators are paid for their work, so that the people who write, perform and record it can continue making the music you love.
- A PPL PRS discretionary charging policy may be applicable if you are holding a private family event, such as a birthday or wedding. Please contact us on 0800 0720 808 for further information.