Whether you’re playing background music in nurseries, pre-schools, schools and colleges or playing music for extra-curricular or entertainment activities, you’ll usually need TheMusicLicence.

By obtaining TheMusicLicence you’ll be able to play the music in the PRS for Music and PPL repertoires legally in your nursery, school or college and enjoy its benefits whilst ensuring that its creators are fairly rewarded for their work.

Benefits of TheMusicLicence

Create a euphony in your educational establishment with TheMusicLicence.

We all learn in different ways and our environment can play an influential part in that. With TheMusicLicence you could reflect the atmosphere you want and mirror the right music to influence this. Create more in a classroom, put the performance into PE, bring the talent to the shows. No matter what the age group, music could aid in the development of the next generation.

red apple fruit on four pyle books

Create a yearning for learning

Playing music in nurseries and pre-schools or in schools and colleges could not only help create a more entertaining environment for your pupils and staff but could also:


How is my music licence cost calculated?


If you play music in a nursery, your combined yearly music licence will cost around £90.36 (excluding VAT).

Other educational establishments

The cost of TheMusicLicence for schools and colleges varies depending on specific characteristics. So please contact us for a quote. Before doing so, please ensure you have read our Music Licence Quote Checklist.

PPL PRS is a new company, equally owned by PPL and PRS for Music. It has been created to provide customers with a streamlined music licensing service – TheMusicLicence – with a single point of contact to make it easier to obtain a licence to play and perform music in public. Previously, businesses, organisations and venues would have had to purchase two separate licences from PPL and PRS instead.

TheMusicLicence allows you to legally play and perform music in your business, including when it is part of the film exhibition and when it is used in other areas of your premises. If you play or perform music in your premises you will usually need TheMusicLicence. It will cover you with one licence for the use of virtually all commercially released music available, including millions of songs and recordings, from the most popular and well-loved music not just from the UK but also from around the world.

After deduction of our business costs, the licence fees we collect are distributed to those involved in making music via our parent companies PPL and PRS. They each have databases storing details of millions of musical compositions and recordings. Together with a wealth of information about which music is used, this enables PPL and PRS to determine fairly and efficiently which of their members to pay and how much to pay them.

How do I get TheMusicLicence?

Call us on 0800 086 8820

(8am-6pm, Monday-Friday)

Alternatively you can complete the online form and an adviser will be in touch.